Denver weather in December is cool, crispy with several sunny days. It's the time of year when you can still be outside to enjoy the fresh mountain breezes, but it's best to bundle up before you do.
During the day, the temperatures warm up to the mid-40s. At night, it will be below freezing most nights with even cooler temps as the month progresses. This time of year, most ski resorts have opened their doors and it's a fun time to head up to the mountains.
Read on for more tips on what to pack, average temps, and a few of my favorites things to do this month.
The Denver weather in December offers average highs around 46 degrees each day. The mornings start out cooler with temps increasing throughout the day. They begin to dip as the sun goes down.
At night, it's cool with lows that average 16 degrees. This is usually the overnight low and evenings will be in the mid to lower 30s.
You will also find a decent amount of snow this year with around 8 to 9 inches. It doesn't often fall all at once, so you will get an inch or two here and there. The sun often comes out throughout the days, so it will melt off quickly which means very little pile up of snow in December.
Here are a few more details about the Denver weather in December.
Average High in December:46° F/8° C
Average Low in December: 16° F/-9° C
Average Monthly Snow: 8 to 9 inches
Record High: 75° F/24° C (12/02/1998)
Record Low: -24° F/-31° C (12/22/1990)
There are a few things you will need to bring with you to prepare for the Denver weather in December. Make sure to pack plenty of warm pants or jeans, heavy sweaters and flat shoes that don't slip. You can bring along running shoes or snow boots, both will do the trick.
In addition, you will want to bring along a heavy jacket and your gloves. I also recommend a scarf and hat if you plan to spend a lot of time outdoors. These are also great additions to your wardrobe for those colder Denver evenings.
It's also good to bring along a few items that you can layer. It isn't uncommon for the day to start off cool and end up warming up 20 degrees or more.
1. See the holiday lights around town: The holiday season in December is a magnificent time to see gorgeous lights all around the Mile High City. Some of my favorites are the Grand Illumination of Union Station, the Zoo Christmas lights in Denver, and the 9News Parade of Lights which is a two mile parade of lighted floats, marching bands and, of course, Santa Claus! Find more details on the best holiday lights around town.
2. Watch a Colorado Avalanche game: Denver's Colorado Avalanche is always trying to win the Stanley Cup. Attending one of their games is a great way to spend a December day in Denver. The Avalanche play at the gorgeous Pepsi Center and their games are always well attended. Make sure to check the schedule so you don't miss out when you take your trip to the Mile High City.
3. Celebrate Christmas: The Denver weather in December will make you feel like you are in the North Pole and visiting Santa himself. Your visit can include many of the wonderful light displays, eating delicious meals at one of Denver's many restaurants, or watching some of the traveling Broadway shows that come through Denver this time of year. Make sure to book in advance as many of these sell out. Discover my full guide to Christmas in Denver.
4. Ring in the new year on NYE: Make sure to get your resolutions ready and have some champagne in your hands as you countdown to the new year. You can have a wide variety of choices which range from a 21+ parties, theater performances, and kid-friendly activities. There are many options but make sure to be outside for the Downtown Fireworks Display at 9 pm or the second show at midnight. More things to do this NYE in Denver.
5. Enjoy the Nutcracker with the Colorado Ballet: The Nutcracker is a Christmas tradition and the Colorado Ballet presentation of it is perfect. This show is always a hit with the whole family, and at only 2 hours long, with two intermissions, it is perfect for kids of any age. It is performed in the gorgeous Ellie Caulkins Opera House and features over 100 dancers, 300 costumes, and so much more. Plan ahead and buy your tickets before they sell out. Information on this year's performances.
The Denver weather in December is cool, but there are plenty of fun things to do all month long. In addition to those mentioned above, here are a few additional things to check out during your stay.
25 Fun Kids Activities: If you are visiting with the entire family, then make sure to check out my top kids activities. The include kid friendly museums, attractions, and other activities all around town. Find more details here.
Theater Performances: Every year, you will find a variety of fun theater performances in Denver. It's a fun time to head inside and away from the Denver weather in December. This month's calendar includes everything from Christmas favorites to top Broadway hits. Discover a full calendar of upcoming theater performances.
December Calendar: The December calendar is also full of fun events. They include concerts, sporting events, comedy shows, and so much more. Find a full calendar for December here.