Denver weather in October starts to cool down and fall temperatures are here. The days are still warm, mild and you will find most days are sunny. We do start to see some snow this time of year and the evenings are quite cool.
You will want to prepare for sunny days with temps in the 60s. Make sure to bring along a few warm weather items as the temps dip down to around freezing most nights.
Read more so you can figure out what to pack, how to plan, and some of my favorite events this month all around town.
For some of the links on this page, I receive a small commission when you purchase. You don't pay more when you buy through me and it gives me the chance to offer you all this great content for free!
The Denver weather in October starts out a little warmer toward the beginning of the month. You will find most days are in the mid to upper 60s with a few days still hitting that nice 70 degree mark. It tends to cool down toward the end of the month with temps in the mid to lower 60s by Halloween.
At night, you will find a similar pattern. It's a little warmer at the beginning of the month with lows in the lower 40s to upper 30s. Most of the time at night, we start to see the freezing evening temps around mid month and they continue until the end.
During this time of year, we also start to see a little more snow. We get about 4 inches this time of year, so it's still easy to travel around. We often get a light dusting or up to an inch at a time. It often melts off quickly as the sun often comes out the next day.
On warmer days, we also get a little bit of rain. The Denver weather in October is often just an inch or two of rain.
Here are a few more details for this month.
Average High in October: 66° F/19° C
Average Low in October: 33° F/1° C
Average Monthly Rainfall/Snowfall: 1-2 inches of rain and ~4 inches of snow
Record High: 94° F/ 34° C (10/16/1991)
Record Low: 2° F/-17° C (10/30/1993)
The Denver weather in October offers cool fall days with lots of sunshine. You will want to prepare with some heavier clothing this time of year.
During the day, you are probably going to want to wear khakis, a medium to long sleeved shirt, lighter sweaters and full dresses. Toward the end of the month, you might need blue jeans or something thicker to keep you warm outdoors.
Some days, you can still get away with shorts too. This changes day to day, so watch the forecast to see if there is a day you can do this during your stay.
At night you are definitely going to need a jacket and a heavier sweater. Dresses would be okay but make sure to check out the forecast as the winds can kick up and make it a little cooler. Pants are your best bet and this is the time you'd want to start bundling up to stay warm and cozy.
1. See a Denver Broncos game: The NFL's Denver Broncos are always a great team to watch as they start their drive to the Super Bowl. They play in the gorgeous Mile High Stadium and you can see a few home games depending on when you visit the Mile High City. Find their schedule for October here.
2. Dress up for one of our Halloween events: If you are into costumes, and want to have a little fun during Halloween, then you'll have a spooky good time in Denver. If you are here with your kids check out events like the Boo at the Zoo, Colorado's Craziest Corn Maze, or some numerous other ones. For adults, the 13th Floor Haunted House, Denver Zombie Crawl and others. Make sure to check the schedule since some events are adult only.
3. Sample beers from around the world: All the locals know that October in Denver means the Great American Beer Festival. More than 800 breweries, with over 3,800 different brews, come out and pour for the over 60,000 beer lovers that show up each year. Many of the beers are paired with food specifically made by expert chefs. Learn more here.
4. Visit some of our top museums for free: The Denver weather in October is starting to get chilly which is the perfect time to check out some of our great free museums. You will learn about the city's history, see some amazing art, and sports memorabilia. Find a list of the top 10 free museums here.
5. Day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park: If you want to get out of the big city then a day trip to the Rocky Mountain National Park is the perfect escape. You will cross the Continental Divide (take a picture and amaze your friends), check out the ski town of Winter Park, ride the Trail Ridge Road, topping out at 12,000 feet of elevation (3660 meters), and eat lunch. It is a great way to see a lot of Colorado while having a professional guide teach you some cool history.
If you plan to spend a night or more, you will find several great options all around town. You can spend the night downtown or at one of the cozy front range lodges. Here are just a few of my top recommendations.