The Denver weather in May is fantastic. Spring has sprung and summer is right around the corner.
Most days you will enjoy days in the 60s. At night, they cool down to the low to mid-40s. We still get a little snow this time of year, but it usually isn't much. That will be mixed with a little bit of rain throughout the month.
Read on for tips on what to wear during your stay and some additional details on the average highs and lows. I've also included information on some of the top things to do this month including what to do for Mother's Day and Memorial Day Weekend.
For some of the links on this page, I receive a small commission when you purchase. You don't pay more when you buy through me and it gives me the chance to offer you all this great content for free!
The Denver weather in May starts out a little cooler and warms up toward the end of the month. On average the days are in the low 60s with a few mid to upper 60s by the end of the month.
The days start out cool around the lower to mid-40s. They will then warm up with the highs hitting around the middle of the afternoon. As the sun goes down, it cools off quickly.
You will still find a mixture of rain and snow in May. We typically get just a couple of inches of each though, so there is no reason to pack too much snow or rain gear.
Here are the Denver weather in May averages.
Average High in May: 62° F/17° C
Average Low in May: 42° F/6° C
Average Monthly Snow/Rainfall: 2 inches of snow, 1 inch of rain
Record High: 97° F/ 36° C (05/30/2003)
Record Low: 21° F/-6° C (05/01/1989)
The Denver weather in May is just about perfect. It is a bit chilly in the morning and night, but the daytime temperatures are a mild 60 degrees.
I would recommend bringing along a light jacket for the cool spring evenings. You should also bring a few light weight long sleeved shirts as well as a few short sleeved shirts. You can pair them with your light jacket or a light sweater on those cooler days.
Since we get very little snow and rain in May, it probably isn't worth it to bring along any snow or rain jackets or clothes. With the small amount we get, you should be fine with just a light jacket or sweater on those days we do get precipitation.
I also recommend wearing comfortable shoes. With our mild Denver weather in May, you will find yourself wanting to walk around quite a bit.
Most places are also casual here, so no need to bring along anything too fancy unless you plan to head to a fancy event or a nice dinner out.
1. Head to Coors Field for a Colorado Rockies game: The Rockies' season will be in full swing and every seat in the house is fantastic. Not only can you get a view of the Rocky Mountains, but you can get a great meal with a homecrafted beer also. There are usually about 10-15 home games a year and they are a must do if you are a sports fan. Find a full schedule here.
2. Spoil your mom on Mother's Day: Want to surprise your mom with something special? We've got your covered. You can find all types of places to take her shopping, treat her to a meal, or possibly to a show or a tour of Denver and the surrounding areas. With the wonderful Denver weather in May, you have many choices and can let mom know how much you love her. More on what to do on Mother's Day here.
3. Run in the annual BolderBOULDER race: Everyone knows that Colorado is a very outdoorsy state and the city of Boulder is no exception. The BoulderBOULDER race has over 50,000 contestants total between the pros and the amateurs. The day wraps up with with Memorial Day Tribute at Folsom Field so make sure to stick around after the run.
4. Enjoy a night at the theater: There are theater shows all over Denver, ranging from the largest Broadway shows as they tour the country to the smallest local shows in the Mile High City. You will want to make sure to book ahead so you can see the best of the best that Denver has to offer. See what's on stage in May.
5. Watch a concert at Red Rocks: If you haven't seen a concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater, you don't know what you are missing. Red Rocks Amphitheater is a naturally made perfect acoustic concert venue. Many of the most famous bands have played there and they always have concerts that sell out quickly. So make sure to check the schedule and buy your tickets as soon as you can! Find a full schedule of concerts at Red Rocks in May.
You will find several great areas to stay in this May. Here are a few recommendations on where to stay as you enjoy the Denver weather in May.
>> Best B&Bs