Denver weather in January is cool with snow several days throughout the month. It's a fun time to be here though as there are several fun indoor activities to keep you busy. In addition, it's a fun place to stop over on your way to or from your mountain adventure.
The days in January average in the mid to upper 40s. At night, it dips down below freezing most nights. We also get a decent amount of snow this time of year.
Read on for more information about this month's weather, tips on what to pack, and a few ideas on what to do while you are here.
The Denver weather in January is cool most days with the average temperature around 47 degrees. It's cooler in the morning and warms up a bit in the afternoon. It's usually warm enough by mid-day to spend sometime outside and not feel too cold.
At night, the average temperatures are usually below freezing. The average temp for the overnight is 16 degrees. However, you will find the evenings are closer to the 20s and 30s with it cooling off even more at night.
We also get around 10 inches of snow this time of year. It usually snows a few days out of the month to reach that total. You will find that it's still easy to get around Denver, even during these snowy days.
Here are a few more details on the Denver weather in January.
Average High in January: 47° F/8° C
Average Low in January: 16° F/-8° C
Average Monthly Snowfall: 8 to 10 inches
Record High: 78° F/ 26° C (01/26/1982)
Record Low: -21° F/-27° C (10/18/1984)
What should you pack to be prepared for the Denver weather in January? I recommend bringing a heavy jacket, a few sweaters, and plenty of pants and jeans.
I often like to layer this time of year as the temperature does change quite a bit throughout the day. I'll wear my heavy jacket or even my medium weight jacket paired with long pants and a medium to heavy sweater. Often times, I'll wear a button up sweater with a long shirt underneath. This allows me to add and remove items as the temperature changes.
You will also want to make sure you bring along comfortable flat shoes. This way, you will be prepared if it snows. It isn't too icy here most of the year, but it's good to be prepared.
Make sure to bring along a scarf, hat and gloves for the cooler evenings here too. You can add those on as the days cool down.
1. Do some ice skating downtown: Being that you will be experiencing the gorgeous Denver weather in January, you will want to get outside and go to the ice skating rink at Skyline Park. It is family friendly so everyone can enjoy as you skate around the rink and have fun together. One of little gems of the ice rink is that if you have your own skates, it is free. If you need to rent them, it is still only 2 dollars. Check out this month's event calendar for additional fun things to do in January.
2. Head to the rodeo: If you like to see some rodeo, you are in luck! The National Western Stock & Rodeo is in town in January and it is a wonderful event for everyone to experience. During the rodeo, you will see horse shows, bull riding with some of the world's best riders, animal exhibitions and other events. The event kicks off with a parade that starts at Union Station. During the parade, you will get the chance to see the streets of Denver full of horse, marching bands, cowboys and cowgirls and many other exciting spectacles.
3. Cheer on the Colorado Avalanche: If hockey is more your game, then you are in the right place since Denver is home to the NHL's Avalanche. The Avalanche play in the amazing Pepsi Center and are always on the hunt for a championship trophy. There are a number of home games so make sure to plan ahead to get your tickets to see some great hockey in the Mile High City. More about sports in Denver in January.
4. Enjoy a theater performance: If the Denver weather in January is too cold for you, and you want to stay inside, then seeing a theater show might be perfect for you. Most people don't think of Denver as a theater city, but it really is, and a very good one at that! There are many traveling shows that come from Broadway in large venues, while there are also smaller shows, some traveling and some local, that are fun to watch since you are right in the action. If you want something a little different, you can also check out a comedy show or two. More on this year's theater performances.
5. Sample candy on the Hammond's Candy tour: I have yet to meet someone who doesn't love a bit of candy, and if you do, then you will have to take a tour at the Hammond's Candy factory. Not only will you get to enjoy a free sample on your tour, but you will see people making their world famous lollipops, candy canes and ribbon candy. Tours are free and available a few different times during the day. If you have a larger group, or are there on a holiday, make sure to reserve your spot before you head out. More free tours in Denver.
With the cool Denver weather in January, I recommend being as close to the action as possible. This will allow you to quickly get around town and get back inside to stay warm.
Here are a few top options.
Downtown Denver Hotels: If you plan to do a lot downtown, then check out this list of the top places to stay. They include options from budget friendly gems to four star beauties. Find a full list here.
Hotels Near the Pepsi Center: Are you attending a Nuggets or Avalanche game? If so, you will find several options near the Pepsi Center. Here are a few of my favorites.
Convention Center Hotels: If you are heading to a conference or event at the Colorado Convention Center, you will find plenty of options that are a short walk or drive away. Find my favorite here.